ladakh

ladakh

For their education we work hard and manage somehow

Its 7.55am sunday morning, the autoride has been a breeze, a sort of Delhi trans Yamuna darshan. I pay the agreed 150, the autodriver carefully holds the notes in a folded hand, closes his eyes and says a short prayer. Has the day begun well for you today? Smiles, yes sir thanks to you. I smile, hope it goes like that all day. I am waiting for a birder pick up, there is time to kill, its cold, we are outside a metro station. Would you like some chai, no sir. Come on I am inviting you, two tea please. As we sip some real good chai - where are you from? Bengal, Dinajpur. West and East isn't it. Yes Sir - earlier it was Dinajpur now it two districts. I was born in Calcutta, but Ami Bangl Jaani Na (I don't know Bangla). Smiles, continues in Bangla - I have two boys, they hardly speak Bangla - we are able to go once every three years they have become delhiwallahs. Do they study, elder one is in college. When did you come to Delhi, 1982. 30 years! how old are you? 52 sir. What I would have thought early 40s, really. What are the boys planning? Do not know sir, we couldn't learn much, so we cannot tell them much, spending money for their education is our job, that we work hard and manage somehow. We've finished chai, he starts paying, Sir let me invite you. No no, its me, please don't take money from him. Whats your name - Ishwarchandra Rai. I am Peeyush. Where do you stay sir? G Block. Oh I always park next to that school. Oh really I am sure then we'll meet again. It is time to go, I thank Mr Rai and tell the chai lady, "You make really good chai" She seems a bit embarassed, looking away, "Sir, to make good chai is what I try" smiles, Thanks Mr Rai, I am sure we will meet again and chat a bit more

No comments: